Drive to <span class="highlight">Craigs</span> <span class="highlight">Hut</span>

Hey Guys,

My uncle and auntie are coming down from QLD for xmas and want to do a bit of 4WDing, they mentioned going to Craigs Hut.

Does anyone know where i can get maps etc. Is the drive hard.??

Will a basic setup 4wd be able to do the trip easliy.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Dec 11, 2008 at 11:59

Thursday, Dec 11, 2008 at 11:59
You can purchase maps from the ExplorOz shop.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 339199

Reply By: Mandrake - Thursday, Dec 11, 2008 at 12:40

Thursday, Dec 11, 2008 at 12:40
Craig's Hut

(also see 'Packages' for 4WD Tours to Craig's Hut with experienced guide)

(Generally accessible from November to May)

The drive to Craig's Hut from Merrijig will take about one and a quarter hours. For those driving a conventional two wheel drive vehicle you will need to park 1.2 kms from the hut on the Circuit Rd and walk in the rest of the way.* Craig's Hut is located in State Forest next to the Mt Stirling Alpine Resort and is managed by the Department of Natural Resources and Environment.

AnswerID: 339204

Reply By: Pete Jackman (SA) - Thursday, Dec 11, 2008 at 12:46

Thursday, Dec 11, 2008 at 12:46
A standard 4WD will get there easily. The only problem we had was finding a park at the hut - it was like the Telstra Dome at a Collingwood game - wall to all vehicles all with VIC plates.

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 339206

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, Dec 11, 2008 at 12:49

Thursday, Dec 11, 2008 at 12:49
Bruce n Sal,

I was there two weeks ago and the tracks from the Circuit Rd was good and open.

The Monument Tk is a bit more of a challenge than the Craigs Hut Tk.

A basic setup 4WD would be able to drive to Craigs Hut but it would also depend on the driver. If you have any doubts use the Craigs Hut Tk and not the Monument Tk.

Maps are available from the shop on this site and the one that will cover the area from Mansfield to Craigs Hut would be Rooftop's Mansfield- Mt Howitt Adventure Map. Most of the other maps of the Vic High Country will also cover this popular drive.

Image Could Not Be Found

Wayne
AnswerID: 339207

Follow Up By: Kiwi and Grenade - Thursday, Dec 11, 2008 at 14:33

Thursday, Dec 11, 2008 at 14:33
doesnt look to bad rebuilt I spose....did an alright job didnt they! They even managed to use old tin for the roof....no colourbond here!!
FollowupID: 606764

Follow Up By: Boobook2 - Thursday, Dec 11, 2008 at 16:00

Thursday, Dec 11, 2008 at 16:00
New Veranda at the back too. Just goes to show what $450,000 of public money can do ;-)

FollowupID: 606778

Reply By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Dec 11, 2008 at 12:54

Thursday, Dec 11, 2008 at 12:54
Hi Bruce or Sal

Well signposted to , and maps also available at Mansfield which you will probably go via.

Basic 4wd - no problems unless its been quite wet , lovely short drive up from main road , and if it hasn't been to wet I suggest you continue the drive past Craigs hut and you go past Mt Stirling
with lovely views of Mt Buller ski resort and then down the other side.
Both Craigs and Mt Stirling and circuled by a ring road called the circuit road and you can't go far wrong.

Well worth the drive.

P.S. If you do the above drive then you will see another track called monument track - it can be difficult.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 339210

Reply By: Bruce n Sal - Thursday, Dec 11, 2008 at 13:19

Thursday, Dec 11, 2008 at 13:19
Thanks Guys,

I will be picking up my New Pathfinder on the 23rd so this will most likely be the first trek I do.

So i think i will stick to the easy tracks for now especially with the wife an kids in the car with, until I get a bit more familiar with the car.

Also don't wanna scratch it just yet :)
AnswerID: 339215

Reply By: Best Off Road - Thursday, Dec 11, 2008 at 14:42

Thursday, Dec 11, 2008 at 14:42
Bruce,

I've got some trip notes that takes you to about half a dozen huts including Craig's, then across to Mt Buller, then back to Mansfield.

Very easy tracks if dry. Lovely day out, allow 6 to 8 hours for round trip.

email jimbest at bestoffroad dot net dot au

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 339229

Reply By: Curlynan - Thursday, Dec 11, 2008 at 22:28

Thursday, Dec 11, 2008 at 22:28
I Just found this.http://www.buttercup.com.au/ptg.htm
Seems like the directions are ok.
AnswerID: 339312

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Friday, Dec 12, 2008 at 07:07

Friday, Dec 12, 2008 at 07:07
Hema maps are pretty good.
I'll also be heading to Craigs Hut late Jan. The Hema maps show a camp site on Mt Stirling but I have heard its been closed. Can anyone confirm this and if so what's the best campsite close by? Razorback Hut, Pineapple Flat?
AnswerID: 339330

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, Dec 12, 2008 at 08:42

Friday, Dec 12, 2008 at 08:42
Richard,

King Hut on the King River would be the closest.Turn off the Circuit Rd onto Speculation Rd. This will take you to King Basin Rd.
King Hut was burnt last winter but the camp site is still good.

Another good camp site not far from Craigs Hut is Bindaree Hut on the Howqua River. A large open camp site right on the river and has a good long drop toilet.

Pineapple flat is a bit further away but does have some good river crossings getting to it.

Wayne

FollowupID: 606878

Follow Up By: Bruce n Sal - Friday, Dec 12, 2008 at 09:23

Friday, Dec 12, 2008 at 09:23
Hi Wayne,

The river crossing you mention to get to Pinapple flat would I need a snorkel in a Pathfinder to make the crossings.

Thanks

Bruce
FollowupID: 606880

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, Dec 12, 2008 at 11:43

Friday, Dec 12, 2008 at 11:43
Bruce,

The river crossings to Pineapple Flat can be a challenge, it all depends on the water level and how fast the river is flowing.

When I was there a few weeks ago the water was not that deep but was flowing fast. Blinds were not needed and a snorkel, while a good thing was also not required on this trip.

I have in the past crossed the river where blinds were put on but we only got as far as the third river crossing before we turned back because of the depth and speed of the river. The two photos are of the same crossing.

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

If you are not sure after you have walk the river there is a way around. I did come across a vehicle that got stuck in one of the crossings and although the motor was not damaged, water had entered the vehicle and all of the camping gear got wet.

Wayne
FollowupID: 606909

Follow Up By: Richard W (NSW) - Friday, Dec 12, 2008 at 17:32

Friday, Dec 12, 2008 at 17:32
Thanks guys. :)
FollowupID: 606938

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Friday, Dec 12, 2008 at 10:28

Friday, Dec 12, 2008 at 10:28
We to will be there on 28th & 29th Dec weather permitting of course. We are staying at Mansield and on this site if you dial in Mt stirling a map comes up. The fella at the caravan park said he has all the info we needed. Also we can go and see where the homestead in the movie was. Wish we had more time in the area but two days better than nothing.
Cheers
AnswerID: 339363

Sponsored Links